Monday, April 18, 2011

And just when you thought...

things were kind of leveling out. I mean big guy turns two whole weeks tomorrow. He is back above birth weight. His skin color ranges from white boy to crimson when mad (no more yellow). And he had started to kind of like sleeping in his crib. Then two nights ago Reid's nose started sounding like a turbo jet. We broke out the humidifier and the saline drops, held him all night on Sat. and Sun. so he could drain. But we still took him to the doctor today to find out he has a cold. This little thing has been so sheltered and cared for; how could he have a cold? Maybe it was the hospital visits for jaundice checks. Or maybe it was physical therapy. I didn't realize his little immune system wouldn't kick in until 6 weeks. Sooo, please pray little guy doesn't get a fever. He had just a tiny fever today but just a smidge low grade.

Also please pray for mommy. Michael leaves on a business trip tomorrow. He's only gone two days and one night but that seems like an eternity especially now knowing that Reid is under the weather and his sleep deprived mom will be in charge of making decisions even though she is exhausted. My mom will be here so at least there will be another adult in the house!

Reid also had physical therapy today. To say the least, he does not like it. He kept with tradition and peed on the therapist again. How, we do not know! We diaper with care! His neck has loosened a bit. When I asked her about the severity of his torticollis she classified it as severe but not the worst that she's seen.

I now eat my words that I'd be glad when he's out in the world and I can hold and care for him and protect him...I mean I am so glad he is here but parenthood is so humbling. I want to protect him from everything but so far the birth canal (caused torticollis) and probably physical therapy (cold bug) have made him ill, two things that are supposed to be a good thing! I don't want to wish away his infancy but I will be glad when he is a little stronger and has an immune system.

Anyhoo, that was our day. I'm laying here with a snotty angel on my chest knowing I'm the luckiest mom in the world because he is God's creation. We were chosen to raise God's son while he is here on earth. What an amazing responsibility to be given!

4 comments:

  1. Bless his heart (and yours)! I'm so sad to hear he has a cold - NO fun. Loving you guys from afar. Kisses to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Motherhood -- the most joyful and humbling of God's callings. You're a FABULOUS mom; Reid is so blessed to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a fabulous mom! You could look at the cold on the positive side and think he's already getting exposed to germs and building his immune system up. Both my girls have allergy issues and it gets better when they get more weight on them and can have the better allergy meds.
    Just hang in there and sleep when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! That's no fun at all - for any of you! If you need any help or just a distraction, let me know and I can be right over! love you guys!

    ReplyDelete