Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Reid is here!

We welcomed Reid Michael Robinson on April 5th at 12:10 pm. He weighed 8 lbs and 12 oz and was 19.75 inches long...his labor & delivery was the  most wonderful memory of both our lives. He is the most perfect thing I've ever seen and I love him with all my heart.  It's hard to explain but the little guy is like an extension of his daddy and loving one of them just strengthens my love for the other one...ahhh, it's amazing.

There have been some challenges since our time in the hospital.  In fact, it's been a whirlwind since our discharge on Thursday. We found out that Reid was jaundice right as we were leaving the hospital & that he would need to be retested on Friday. Physically I had a very hard afternoon on Thursday once home...it kind of set us off in an alarmed fashion at home between the jaundice and my ailment.  Friday we found out that Reid had lost too much weight and that his jaundice had worsened. Immediately we began supplementing with formula but his lethargy from the jaundice made it all but impossible to get him to wake to eat (except at night!! he was ready to party all night, lol...). We had to retest again on Saturday and it did get better and he gained some weight back. We focused on feedings and sunlight Sunday and I'm happy to report his weight is much better as of Monday (thank you milk coming in). We have to have his jaundice tested again Tuesday as well as his one week pku screening.  So that means we've been at the hospital for bloodwork or doctor's office Friday, Saturday, Monday and Tuesday.  BUT, we are on the mend and Reid is doing much better.  Thanks be to God.

We'll stay on top of the jaundice and weight gain but we'll also add in some physical therapy this week because little Reid has torticollis in his neck. He also has some compression on one foot and one side of his face. The compression is from being so big with no room to move! We think it should go away in time but we'll get it checked out.  The torticollis is probably from Reid being in the birth canal and so low for the last 6 weeks. His little neck is just kind of stuck in one position. Sooo, the moral if these two paragraphs is that Reid's mommy and daddy have been a little worried about him!

I have been awful at returning phone calls, emails and texts until he got better. However today I started carrying my phone closer and resuming normal household 'stuff'. I know we'll look back on this first week one day when he's really sick or facing a big challenge and laugh at ourselves...when we were 31, thought that wanting a baby so bad would make us better parents and instead it just makes us crazy first time parents!

I can't explain how much we love him. I felt like I knew him so well in the womb and he is exactly like I imagined. We're already great friends. He was meant to be right here right now...

More pics to come!


1 comment:

  1. Ahhh, sweet boy! I hope things continue to just get better and better for the three of you!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete