Sunday, March 7, 2010

KB's Shower

Yesterday was KB's shower! I think I wanted KB to get pregnant more than she did! We tried for a while "together" (well, not together, but we were trying at the same time); we talked about it so much we even ovulated around the same time every now and then! Also, it was interesting because our husbands even cracked us up now and then about the woes of trying to get your wife pregnant. I would bet money that they'll wish they had those days back someday!!! LOL. It was a very comforting time for me; we really had some good laughs and long talks about getting pregnant. I was convinced that we would conceive around the same time. And then she got pregnant around August last year.

When it came time for the shower, I, of course, wanted to help. But, when you're dealing with infertility, you never know how these things are going to affect you. I know some people who have told me, they absolutely could not go to a baby shower much less host one in their home. I, however, am of the mentality that I have to keep living life like I would if this challenge hadn't arrived. That's not to say I didn't wonder how I would react - of course it crossed my mind. I'm happy to report that it went great. KB looked adorable, she got some awesome gifts, and we all showered her with what she deserves...love and excitement...and I got to be a part of it.

One thing to note: Anyone who is struggling with infertility knows that one of the worst parts besides not being able to get pregnant is the uncontrolled tricks your mind plays on you. I mean who wants to be jealous, envious or less than absolutely thrilled at the announcement that a new life has started? What I've learned at my infertility group is that these emotions are completely normal. They don't make you a bad person; they are just part of the deal. You have to learn to forgive yourself for feeling these thoughts. You certainly don't want anyone else to go through this - you just want to get to share in the joy. Another thing is you have to be willing to protect yourself. This one is tricky, though. When I think of protecting myself, then that would mean saying no to showers, visits to newborns and an overall avoidance of about half of my closest friends! I just decided I'm not going to do that. If I get into a situation that causes an emotional response, I'll just have the emotional response. That's what bathrooms are for. I decided when I woke up yesterday to be happy. Just that simple...have a celebratory day. And it worked out just like that. It was happy. I lobbied and prayed for little Mr. Parker and I can't wait to meet him.

Shout outs: 1) Kristen, I love you and am thrilled that you are my friend. You are going to be a wonderful mother to a baby boy who was so wanted. 2) Hayley, Aria, Katie, Jill and Julie are awesome co-hostesses. They really know how to throw a shower. 3) Oh by the way, Michael is an extra good husband. He helped make the fruit salad, bought the balloons and set them up as markers, helped move furniture, cleaned and just let me bark orders yesterday morning. I'm super impressed and know to be thankful for his help, concern and love.

Here are some pics:



2 comments:

  1. You look absolutely gorgeous, as always. Gotta' love the cluttered refrigerator door. It's a sure sign of love in your life. Glad you had a great time. Love you, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Olivia, love the blog and so appreciate your honesty. I am glad the shower went well and look forward to seeing you again soon.
    Love,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete