Monday, March 29, 2010

Better luck next time

Well, today, we had an appointment with an Reproductive Endocrinologist (geez, I had to spell check that, what a freaking word). Notice I say had an appointment...

So, about a 1.5 weeks ago I call one of the few female RE's in Dallas, Dr. Lee (the only time I've been examined by a male, I had a hot flash so bad sweat dripped off my face. I'm not kidding; it weirds me out so I'm sticking with the females.) She's a partner to one of the most popular RE's at Preby Dallas. She's been educated at MIT, Harvard and Duke. She's a genius in my book. So she had a cancellation for today and I scooped it up. We're currently in the interview stage. We want a good personality fit with whoever is going to so cozy with my ovaries. I want a warm and fuzzy, ball-buster (not literally), but you know what I mean. Someone who is going to handle my hormone induced state very compassionately, but also someone who is aggressively proactive. You know, someone like me. :) So, we wanted to start interviewing doctors early so that when we're ready to start IVF, we'll have our ace in the hole already lined up. Then, late last week at work, an evening meeting got plopped right where I would barely have time to make it to Dallas and back to my meeting in the suburbs. I fretted about it all weekend. Literally from Friday evening to Sunday, I created every scenario in my head on how to make it back in time. But, I kept thinking of how if I missed this meeting, I'd probably also lose my job (ummm, should have begged for that one). So I begrudgingly cancelled my appointment this morning.

Here's how my day really became ironic.

1) My boss comes back from his mid-day meeting. A big part of the meeting was infertility. He goes on to tell me that there "are some really great advances out there". Yeah, I know. I would have learned some too had I gotten to go to my appointment.

2) My meeting tonight was with area OB/GYNs to talk about all sorts of relevant information about having babies in our new hospital. 20 OB/GYNs in one room just describing all sorts of situations that I may or may not ever get to experience. I got to take the minutes so I'll have the joy of reliving the meeting again as I get them typed up.

I mean, really?

3) Michael was disappointed about not going to our appointment today. We had lunch together at Jason's Deli and an adorable, blonde little girl walks by...he gives her the cutest smile I've ever seen. A little glimpse of the immeasurable adoration he longs to express to his own. It literally broke my heart into a million pieces at the table. I'll probably be in big trouble for writing this part, but geez, things like that stick with you for a while.

Alas, I rescheduled our appointment for the end of April so there is going to be a lag in fertility updates unless anyone wants a play-by-play of ovulation time this month... What? No takers?

4 comments:

  1. I am going to send you a picture that represents the sweetest, most loving smile that Michael gives. And it was while he was looking at YOU. I hope it helps. Love you, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn it! Maybe there was some divine reason for the delay in the appointment...you never know. But, at least you have another appointment scheduled, so I'm happy for that! I hope she's the adorable ball buster you're looking for :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Throughout our journey/heartache, comic relief has been one of our best friends. So for what it's worth...

    Over the past weekend Zeb, my dh, has started taking in wildlife to fulfill his (secret) nurturing side. Last weekend he rescued a baby squirrel that had fallen from his tree. it lived in a cat carrier for half a day before he decided to help it back up the tree. I'm pretty sure he introduced it to our dogs too although they were more interested in lunch rather than their new squirrel sister.
    Also, our next door neighbors were complaining about a family of baby raccoons on their roof. Upon hearing this, Zeb climbed up on top of their back roof to see if he could somehow convince a protective mamma to share one of her cute baby 'coons with him. Fortunately for me he lucked out, but has commenced emailing me videos of raccoons as family pets.
    seriously?
    i really think I might suggest a side job at the zoo...

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL that's funny Ally! Michael exhibits his nurturing side by french kissing our chi puppy. Funny, yet gross too!

    ReplyDelete