Monday, March 14, 2011

Ouch, good news and updates in between...

OK, I'm going to blog daily for the next several days...hold me to it with mean texts if not! To be shared: Ardmore shower, Coppell shower, Valentine's Day/Push Gift, and unedited Preggo photo shoot with the hubs.

Today we had our 36 week appointment. The outcome/news is great. Reid is about 7.5 lbs. I'm dilated to a 2 and my cervix is thinning (not sure how much, he just said it is really thin whatever that means). Reid's head continues to basically be in the birth canal like it was at last month's ultrasound. The doctor is VERY pleased that my body is preparing itself for birth and has put the cervical ripening procedure on April 4th on hold. He thinks I may just be able to check in for the induction on April 5th without the ripening the day before. Have I mentioned that on the blog?? Induction date of April 5th? 22 days away if anyone besides me is counting, lol. That will make me 39 weeks. We're not sure if the dilation and thinning will mean that Reid is joining the party earlier than that but it does mean we're headed in the right direction. I'm under strict grandmother instruction that an induction date works much better for their schedule so Reid and I are trying to accommodate MeMe, Nana and MiMi! During the ultrasound we saw a little bit of Reid's face that wasn't hidden in his burrow. He's cute and has a fun nose and pouty lips. He was sucking during the ultrasound and took in practice breaths. You go little one in my belly - keep practicing!

So that was the good news. I won't dwell on the ouch, but I do want the mothers-to-be that read this blog to be prepared if no one has mentioned this to you...last month pelvic exams are not comfortable. And if I put it bluntly, they hurt like hell. Today I had a pelvic exam, followed by a "down there" strep test (standard test) topped off with a vaginal ultrasound because Reid's head was too low for the tech to be able to see it via a belly scan. The first words out of the doc's mouth when he started to examine me was that Reid's head is wayyyy down low. So low he had to manipulate "things" (Reid's head somehow??) to be able to do the check. Poor mommy and Reid are traumatized. I think it caused Reid to be "disturbed" because he has moved rapidly all day and feels even lower than he did this morning. Or maybe I'm just disturbed down there. There was quite a bit of spotting afterwards which totally freaked me out. It's totally normal according to the doc but when you go 9 months praying for no blood and then there is lots of it...it can't help but throw a little panic your way. I don't say this to scare anyone but just go in better prepared than me! And take your advocate or husband. Nothing shows love than your honey saying "Do you want me to say something?" And then taking matters in his own hands and very politely asking the doctor if he can "try to be a little more gentle next time". (Husband Hero Status!) That opened the door for me to complain a little about the pain level and the doctor to slow down and be a little more compassionate. And that, people, is why I married the man.

Doc assured me next week's check wouldn't hurt near as much. I'm holding him to it.

And back to the happy note, below see my little chubby cheeked baby boy. Plus his nether-region...just for good measure. :)

1 comment:

  1. That is quite a boy you have there! Sorry you had a painful experience...ouch...but I am glad for the heads up (haha, did you get that?!) on it all. Hope all is well!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete